Monday, January 26, 2009

Parenting

I'm wondering where my parenting has gone awry. Or if two year olds are just little miniature Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde's.

I am at a loss for what to do about Aidan's behavior, specifically (and most importantly), towards his sister. One minute he is sweet & playing and the next he is throwing a bat at the back of her head. Seriously. One minute they are rolling cars back & forth, the next he is hurling cars at her because she rolled it the wrong way. Today I babysat our friends Tasha & Adam's daughter Riley. The kids had a wonderful time together. Everyone was sharing, everyone was taking their turn & all was peaceful. You'd think with 3 kids things would get more hectic, but they didn't. Aidan is as sweet as can be towards Riley and then turns on Ivy in a heartbeat. Riley and Ivy are the same age (birthdays just a week apart), and it really baffles me. I feel like I am simply wasting my air & creating more CO2 anytime I tell him not to do something, because usually, he follows that up by doing the same thing, harder and more furious than the first time. I have got down on his level & talk to him eye to eye, I have yelled, I have done time-outs, I have resorted to spanking a time or two. And all to no avail. The kid actually thinks a spanking is fun. "Aidan, next time you do _____ you are getting a spanking" I say, and the next thing he does is walk to me, turn around and stick his butt out & say "spank a butt mommy". Sometimes he gets the crazy look in his eye & you can see the outburst coming. And all I can think of, all I have left is attempting to ignore him after he does these things and direct my attention to Ivy or to something not concerned with him or his behavior. But then, that seems like a complete lack of parenting.

Another thing I am ignoring about his behavior lately is when he spits out his food. Chew and spit. Where do they learn these things?!?

So now that the kids are snug in their rugs, err.. beds, all I have left to do is contemplate a new level of dealing with Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde toddlermania. And a new method of birth control. :)

I went to the lab finally to have my blood tests done and they all came back normal from hormone levels, cholesterol, liver enzymes, thyroid, blood sugar... all normal. Which means I will most likely need to stop the Depo-Provera 3 month birth control shot and figure out a way to remember to take a BC pill everyday. bleh.I'm so not excited. But, if it means my hair will stop falling out of my head and growing in on my chin, I suppose I'll be happy. I'll be happier if it prevents any more babies in the near future. :)

Good Night everyone!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey sweets !
well for the birth control get the T put in meridian last 5 years i had it done all hormones are in the uterus and not the rest of your body! hurts a little but worth it.
Also don't stress my son is the same. girls are easier younger and harder as teenagers , boys are harder younger and easier as teenagers.. don't worry kids are kids. Its not behavior its just a boy! my hint to you find what he loves and when hes bad take it ! also let him know if hes good all day and nice to his sister he can have a special treat, but if hes knotty let him watch sister have her special treat and not him should clear it up for awhile : ) also when he hurts ivy don't yell at him at that point hes not there run to ivys side and literally baby her as about the owey and just comfort her about the owie ... hope it helps !!!
miss you guys!!
shy

Anonymous said...

For inappropriate behaviour, and speech we sometimes send our little man to his room. He hates this as he is no longer the center of attention. He usually cries and gets himself together, and reamurges as a nicer kid....sometimes.