Thursday, January 15, 2009

Bedtime! & other stories.

Post numero uno. I am back on track with Aidan's sleeping routine after falling off the bedtime wagon around Christmas. Last night was a success, and after just 15 minutes Aidan was snoring. Yes, he snores. Tonight after teeth brushing, another peeing in the potty success, bath, jammies, and 2 stories, Aidan & Ivy are well on their way to some super dream, I'm sure. Ivy was tired after a short midday nap (she stuck her feet (with boots on) through her crib bars & failed to maneuvere them back through & woke up just a little over an hour after falling asleep. Aidan took a short nap on the couch until Ivy came downstairs & started poking him. :)

Did I mention that Aidan loves his new book 'Corduroy'? I love it too. That's why we have it. I want to eventually get the classics I remember were read to me as a child. Next on the list is Make Way for Ducklings. This month we got Corduroy and Curious George. Aidan's new love to do thing is go to the library. We went a few days ago & sat in the children's area and read a few books before picking out some to take home. I know we are going to have to buy Chicka Chicka Boom Boom since that is also one of his favorites, not to mention that it is helping him to learn his lower case alphabet. He knows all the upper case letters... forward, backward, upside down & inside out. I am amazed. He can also "read" Brown Bear Brown Bear to Ivy. He has it memorized of course but it is still very cute.

Ivy has finally returned to the bathing world. After a few months of bath strike, she is all in now. Her favorite part of the day is bathtime I think... "bash.. mommy? BASH!" (bash=bath in Ivy talk). She now sticks her head directly under the faucet, face first when I am filling the bath. She blows bubbles in the bath, she fills up her big cup with her little one. She is growing leaps and bounds. She wants to be one of the big kids too. I am constantly chasing her up the slide/play thing at the park. She wants the biggest slide, the highest slide, the big-kids one. She is communicating better everyday. Her vocabulary is crazy big. Probably because she has a big brother to model after... couple of jabberjaws, sun up to sun down... and then some. I don't know how I could possibly have kept them entertained & happy in our old apartment.

Our new house is wonderful. We all have a little slice of home here, our own space, somewhere to retreat. The kids especially love the backyard. They rarely play upstairs in the playroom.. usually only Ivy while I read with Aidan, since she couldn't be less interested in a story. And I am proud that we have done it. We have a home, a family. I mean, that's pretty much what it's all about... the hokey pokey of life. I am proud of Patrick for accomplishing all he has. For doing and sacrificing. For growing. For everything. We may not 'have it all' but we really have all we need to grow and become.

Goodnight for now!